I saw a photo of Lasagna Soup on Pinterest about a week ago and it looked soooo yummy. I knew it was something I had to try. So I googled and compared a few recipes, deciding finally upon THIS one by Paula Deen!
Here is the recipe, with the changes I made 🙂
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 onion, chopped (I used half)
- 1 green bell pepper, chopped (I used half an orange pepper)
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon thyme (I left this out, don’t care much for thyme)
- 1 tablespoon firmly packed brown sugar
- 1 (32-ounce) box chicken broth (I used 4 cups cold water mixed with a package of french onion soup mix instead)
- 2 (14.5-ounce) can petite diced tomatoes (I used one can Aylmer Olive Oil and Garlic Diced Tomatoes)
- 1 (15-ounce) can tomato sauce (I also added a can of tomato paste)
- 2 teaspoons Italian seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon salt (I never add salt, but surprisingly did this time just for kicks. Plus I sprinkled some pepper in)
- 2 cups broken lasagna noodles
- 1 (5-ounce) package grated Parmesan cheese (I just used Kraft parmesan cheese)
- 2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
- Garlic Crostini, recipe here (I did not make the crustini)
In a large pot, combine ground beef, onion, bell pepper and garlic. Cook over medium-high heat for 8 to 10 minutes, stirring occasionally until beef is browned and crumbles. Drain well.
Stir in everything else, except noodles and parmesan. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat; reduce heat and simmer 20 minutes. Add noodles, and simmer until noodles are tender. Stir in Parmesan cheese.
Preheat broiler. Ladle soup into 8 to 10 ovenproof bowls. Evenly sprinkle with mozzarella cheese. Broil soups, 6-inches from heat, 3 to 4 minutes, until cheese is browned and bubbly. Add a garlic crostini slice on top. Serve immediately.
This was seriously delicious and tasted exactly like lasagna. Adding a couple of scoops of cottage cheese to our individual servings added that perfect final touch. Truth is, unless we are having company or taking it to someone else, I’m pretty sure this is how I’ll be making lasagna from now on. It was quick and easy, and soooo delicious!